Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Whole Wheat Bread

This recipe is seriously the best wheat bread I have ever had. My friend Kristen shared a loaf when I was pregnant and even with constant morning sickness, I ate half the loaf! It is super soft (will stay soft for a week...if you can keep from eating it that long), and it freezes so well. Just make sure you don't add too much flour because it doesn't look like dough, more like goo when it is all mixed, but the bread is wonderful. 

This recipe is meant for a large Mixer (like a Bosch),  for my Kitchen Aid mixer I HALF the recipe.

8 cups hard whead-grind in a mill & make flour (for those of you just using store bought wheat this is equal to 12 cups of flour)

6 Cups HOT water
2/3 C oil
2/3 C honey
2 TBS dough enhancer
2 TBS wheat gluten *
2 TBS salt
2 heaping TBS yeast
2TBS tofu drink mix (can sub powdered milk)

Put the 6 cups Hot water from the tap into the mixer. Add the oil, honey and all but 2 cups of flour and mix until soft.

Add dough enhancer, wheat gluten, salt, yeast, tofu drink, and mix.

Add the 2 cups of flour that were remaining.

Add more flour if needed (don't be fooled, more often than not you don't need any) and mix to the correct consistency.

Knead in mixer for 11-12 minutes on low

Put about 1 TBS oil on counter and spread it around

Put dough on counter and roll into ball and cover. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Put into 5 greased bread pans and let rise for about 1 hour-until desired loaf size

Bake at 350 for 30-32 minutes.

This is a super soft and wonderful bread.
(* for old wheat add 1 TBS wheat gluten to each cup of flour)

Edit:-this last time I made it I only made 4 loaves since I have to do half of the recipe at a time and it made nice large loaves-which I think we will like better.


Recipe and picture via http://itstimefordinner.blogspot.com/2009/01/whole-wheat-bread.html?m=1

No comments:

Post a Comment